ELECTRICAL FIRE TIPS
A previous report from the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) shows that electrical fires occurring in homes claim the lives of many Americans each year, and injure even more. Many electrical fires in the home or workplace are caused by overloaded circuits and extension cords.
December and January are peak months for electrical fires. The USFA states that fires occur more often during these months due to the increased time spent indoors, which also increases the use of electrical items such as lighting, heating and appliances. Many electrical fires can be avoided when basic safety precautions are taken.
Follow these safety tips to reduce your risk of an electrical fire:
- Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged cords immediately.
- Replace any electrical tool or appliance if it overheats, shorts out, gives off smoke or sparks, or causes even small electrical shocks.
- If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Use electrical extension cords wisely - never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
Information provided by U.S. Fire Administration
SERVPRO of Upper Darby, PA & SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE, proudly serves those in need! We will be on site quickly and our staff will give you the personalized attention you deserve. We specialize in the cleanup of water damage, fire damage, smoke damage, mold removal, trauma cleanup, vandalism cleanup, carpet cleaning and duct cleaning. Let us help you make it, “Like it Never Even Happened!” Visit either of our websites for assistance. Pennsylvania customers visit –www.SERVPROofupperdarby.com or www.SERVPROofbearnewcastle.com if you’re located in Delaware. To speak to a qualified team member, call 1-877-352-0700.