9 Things You Should Know About Mold
The Best Ways to Control Mold Growth is to Control Moisture
Mold is part of the natural environment and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. It is not usually a problem unless it begins growing indoors. The best way to control mold growth is to control moisture.
Here are a few tips regarding mold and moisture in homes, schools, multi-family and commercial buildings. Mold can have a big impact on indoor air quality.
- Always seek advice from a professional if you have more than ten square feet of mold, and always use the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure your safety.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in an indoor environment. The way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, one must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside.
- Using air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers.
- Increasing ventilation.
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning.
- Clean and dry damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces by adding insulation (i.e. windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors).
- In areas of perpetual moisture, do not install carpeting (i.e. near drinking fountains, classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Mold can be found almost anywhere. It can grow on virtually any substance, providing that moisture is present (i.e. wood, paper, carpet, food).
If you see signs of mold, call SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle – (302) 392-6000.
When a home or business suffers a water damage event, a mold infestation can quickly arise and spread throughout a home in as little as 48-72 hours. Since mold can produce allergens and irritants, you will want a trained, experienced professional to properly resolve the mold infestation. If you suspect that your Bear, DE home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE can inspect for any visible mold, and remediate it from your property.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by reviewing these mold damage tips.