Office Safety During the Holiday Season in New Castle County
DOs and DON’Ts of Holiday Office Decorating:
With the holiday season upon us, it’s important to keep workplace safety in mind. Don’t let a preventable accident take the enjoyment out of your holidays – whether you’re excitedly preparing for Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, take a few minutes to read our decorating safety DOs and DON’Ts.
Holiday Decorations DOs
- Decorate reception areas, lobbies, foyers, and break rooms.
- Choose artificial decorations made of fire retardant materials for office decorating.
- Carefully inspect previously stored decorations for damaged or frayed wires or loose connections.
- Discard damaged decorations immediately.
- Only use extension cords that are UL rated and in good condition.
- Power down and unplug all decorations before leaving the building overnight or over the holiday break.
Holiday Decorations DON’Ts
- Do Not, under any circumstances, hang decorations from fire sprinklers.
- Do Not place decorations in exit corridors or areas that could obstruct the view of exit signs, fire alarm pull stations, fire extinguishers, or hose cabinets.
- Do Not use any type of decoration in your office that has an open flame.
- Do Not overload electrical outlets.
- Do Not allow cords to dangle from counters and table tops where they can be pulled or tripped over.
- Do Not place staples or nails through strings of lights, extension cords, or power cords.
- Do Not place Christmas trees, gifts, or freestanding decorations in heavily trafficked areas where employees and/or customers might run into them or trip over them.
- Do Not use “indoor only” decorations or extension cords outside.
Here at SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE, we want everyone to have the safest holiday possible. We understand how valuable time spent with friends and family is, and we want everyone to have a happy holiday season!