Quick Action Can Prevent Additional Property Loss After A Storm In Bear, DE
Steps You Can Take to Prevent Secondary Water Damage If The Storms In New Castle County, DE Have Caused Water Damage To Your Home Or Business?
You come home and find your basement drowning in several inches of standing water. What do you do now? Well, if a leaking roof is the culprit, you need to first eliminate the water source by calling a repair service to tarp and/or repair the roof damage. Did your sump pump fail? Then, call a plumber out as soon as possible to repair or replace the sump pump. In any case, the source needs to be addressed before any clean up can begin. And remember, quick response is the key to mitigating, or minimizing, the loss in water damage.
Failure to react swiftly can lead to secondary damage and increase your property loss.
What is Secondary Water Damage?
Secondary damage is additional damage that is not caused as a direct result of the primary damage or incident. The most common form of secondary damage is Mold Growth. After 24 hours mold spores can begin to grow and will multiply rapidly. Widespread mold growth may require SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle’s Mold Remediation Services to safely treat and remove the mold.
Other common forms or secondary damage are:
- Mold Growth – Mold needs moisture to grow and can grow as fast as 24 hours. If the affected areas are not dried properly and quickly, mold will begin to grow and spread rapidly.
- Electrical Damage – Water entering any of the electrical sockets can cause serious damage and electrical shocking can occur. Stay clear of the area and hire a professional to remediate. See Tips to preventing Electrical Fires.
- Corrosion– If metal materials (ie, studs, pipes) are exposed to water, corrosion or rust will begin. This will affect the structure of the material and if not addressed, over time the metal material can disintegrate and cause even more extreme damages.
- Wood Rot – Similar to corrosion, except it applies to organic material such as the wooden structures of your property. If not treated, this can lead to major structural issues.
- Material Damage –Materials that have been affected by water and have lost their form, with no way to return them to their normal state.
Repairing and restoring your property after a storm can be a lengthy and expensive process, It is best accomplished by a professional company to avoid subsequent damage and keep cost to a minimum wherever possible. SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE helps you through every step.
Here are a few steps you can take Until Help Arrives, that may help you minimize the amount of damage your property will suffer after water damage.
- Contact SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE Immediately
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting the saturated areas
- Wipe furniture to remove excess water
- Place aluminum foil between legs and wet carpet
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying
- Lift drapes off flooring, loop through a coat hanger and hang on curtain rod
- Move valuable paintings, art objects and photos to a safe dry place
- Open closet doors, furniture drawers and luggage to aid in drying
- Remove wet area rugs
- Remove any wet fabrics and dry immediately
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature
- Use your household vacuum to remove excess water
- Use electrical appliances while standing on wet flooring or carpets
- Go into any room where the ceiling is sagging
- Wait to call professional help. The longer you wait the more damage will occur
SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE understands the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your life and in your home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties after a fire damage, smoke damage, water damage and/or mold contamination, as well as provides trauma cleanup, vandalism cleanup, carpet cleaning and duct cleaning services for your home or business.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge and experience to restore your property. With a nationwide system of qualified franchises, no damage is too large or too small for SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle, DE.
If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, please call us at (302) 392-6000 today!
Visit us online to meet our team and learn more about our services.