Avoiding Water Damage Caused by Sump Pump Failure
If Your Sump Pump Fails, Your Basement Could Begin to Fill with Water
If you have a basement, your sump pump is often your last line of defense against flooding. It works by safely diverting water away from your house and is especially important during times of heavy rain when it puts your home at risk of water damage. If your sump pump fails, you could find your basement under water. When this happens, it is important to act fast! Water damage can be a progressive issue and if not dealt with in a timely manner, this could lead to structural damage, mold and much more.
Tips to Avoid Water Damage
- It is important to make sure your sump pump is in working order. Otherwise you risk the chance that it could fail when you need it most.
- After heavy rains, check the sump pump inlet screen for any blockages. Blockage is one of the leading causes of sump pump failure.
- Occasionally, test your sump pump to ensure it is working properly. You can do this by filling the pit with water and watch to see if it is pumped away. If not, you may have a problem.
- Check the float control to make sure it is free and not restricted or hung up.
- Replace the battery backup every 2-3 years. The last thing you need is to find out your batter backup is dead in the middle of a power outage during a big storm.
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle – (302) 392-6000
Water Damage Restoration Process
Every water damage situation is a little different, and requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” water damage emergency.
Water Damage Repair and Restoration
When your home has water damage from flooding or leaks, you need the company that can respond immediately and has the expertise and equipment to properly restore your property. SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle uses advanced water damage inspection and extraction equipment to help them find the moisture and to remove it as quickly as possible. Our highly trained technicians will monitor and document the drying process so that you know your property is back to normal.
Please refer to our Water Damage Tips—Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Bear / New Castle?
SERVPRO of Bear/New Castle is locally owned and operated, and serves Bear, New Castle, Glasgow, Christiana, Delaware City, St. Georges, Corbit, Wilmington Manor, Minquadale, and the surrounding New Castle County communities.
Our certified cleaning and restoration specialists are faster to any size disaster. Providing emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
24/7 Fire Damage Restoration Service - 24/7 Water Damage Restoration Service - 24/7 Flood Damage Service - 24/7 Sewage Damage & Sewage Removal Service - 24/7 Mold Remediation Service - 24/7 Bio-hazard Cleanup - 24/7 Suicide & Crime Cleanup - 24/7 Board-up and Roof Tarping